Slater Park's swimming beach is in a cove and is shallow enough to be preferred by families with small children.
There is a scenic view of Lake Okabena because of the points prominance out into the lake.
An excellent boat loading area exists on the East side of Slater, where there is adequate parking for cars and trailers while you are on the lake.
It is often referred to as "Stoney Point", an apt description of the point, known for its large stones.
Portions of Slater Park were part of the property owned by 12 Minnesota counties comprising the Southwest Minnesota Tuberculosis Sanatorium, whose director was Dr. Sidney Slater.
This park area was purchased by the city in 1959, for $12,250.0.
The park was originally know as “Stoney Point” and was limited to the area from the cove to the West. The name was changed in [?]
The boat landing area was obtained from Besse Ludlow in November 1943, for $1.00 and in July, 1945 for $1.00/.
A shelterhouse was added in [?]
A permanent restroom was built in [?].
Play equipment was installed in 2006.
NOTES: Some of the history is from archives of the Worthington City Government and used by permission. The [?] marks denote information still being saught
To offer suggestions for improvement, or to report a need or problem, contact the Park Department.
Questions, needs, and issues on Design or Function should be addressed to the Webmaster@wgtn.net
Designed by Rohrer & Associates © 2013