Olson Park and Campground was named after industrialist E.O. Olson and his wife, Bella H. Olson, who in April, 1945 donated 55.1 acres of land to the city, for use as park property.
The area was officially named Olson Park in January, 1950.
In October, 1956 an additional approximately 10 acres, along County Road #59 was purchased for $3,000.00, from Genevieve E. Peters for future park site or possible well development purposes.
Two additional purchases, totaling 2.498 acres, along County Road #59 were made in 1956 and 1966, from Agnes and Alvina Haack, with a small portion occupied by Welt Site #20. These additions have become known as park of Olson Park.
The original low area was filled with dredge fill from the Lake Okabena dredging program over a period of years [?]
The park was developed as a campground site in [?]
A footbridge connecting the park to the Sunset Park area of Lake Okabena was built in [?]
Playground equipment was added in 2001. A wild flower native prairie area was added [?], located on southerly property entrance.
New security lighting was installed in 2005.
Restrooms a were added in [?] and are handicap accessible
NOTES: Some of the history is from archives of the Worthington City Government and used by permission. The [?] marks denote information still being saught